The delivery situation with my laptop illustrates one of the key points with ordering things, be they laptops or books -- do not ever pay money for faster shipping. Yesterday, my laptop left Kunshan, China. Today, my laptop is in Pittsburgh, on a truck to be delivered to my office at CMU. I went with the free, slowest shipping option. Hurrah!
For the curious, here's the timetable:
- 17 Nov 13:41 Some China time - Picked up in Kunchan, China
- 17 Nov 13:55 Some China time - Reached Fedex location in Kunshan
- 17 Nov 13:19 Alaska time - Reached Anchorage, Alaska
- 17 Nov 16:06 Alaska time - Left Anchorage
- 18 Nov 01:19 U.S. central time - Arrived in Indianapolis, Indiana
- 18 Nov 05:48 U.S. central time - Left Indianapolis, Indiana
- 18 Nov 06:03 U.S. eastern time - Arrive in Pittsburgh sort facility
- 18 Nov 07:29 U.S. eastern time - Arrive in Pittsburgh local FeEx office
- 18 Nov 08:07 U.S. eastern time - On truck for delivery to CMU
My feline houseguest is really seeming to settle in, but I'm about to run him/her to the humane society. I wish the owners had called.. Oh well.
I wish I could announce it, but it's not at all there yet -- I'm trying to set up my website's media section, but I haven't yet gotten SpiderEyeballs, the gallery generator I like, configured. Part of it is that it wants a big XML file to configure itself, and I don't want to tweak XML every time I add a directory, so I'm going to wrap it all in Perl, with a per-directory .cfg.
Mozilla Firefox 1.5 is finally out. Go get it!
- Umm.. no, actually, that's just 1.5RC3. Oh well. Thanks, mozilla folk, for not giving me version numbers on the autoupdate.. again! argh.