Pat Gunn (dachte) wrote,
Pat Gunn

Call for Nubernames

As you probably know-without-knowing, when you enter numbers into a microwave, say, 120:

  • You could theoretically mean 120 seconds
  • But you probably mean 1:20, and this is how your microwave will interpret the number
  • But if you enter 80, it will go for 80 seconds, which is the same as 1:20
Probably it does the same thing with hours, if your microwave will happily cook things for that long.

What would you call that system? It's not base-60 really. I am tempted to call it chunk-60. Complicated by the fact that a natural extension would be to extend it further by 24, so it's 24-60-60. Natural Time Input?

Is there an industry term for this? Is there a term for that kind of alternate windowed-overflow notation (windowed in that the window closes between 99 and 100, the latter being substantially less time than the former)?


  • Revising Dreams

    Dream:I was in some strange kind of situation where I had just managed to escape some kind of captors in a large school, but didn't feel safe to…

  • Visiting a Dream Element

    Just had an extended conversation in a dream.. I may have written about this before here. If so, this is an elaboration. One of the things that was…

  • Half-written dreams

    Last night I had a strange dream that was operating from the certainty that I was going to have a baby (not physically), but didn't actually provide…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment